"She doesn't understand why you don't do the same thing."
Well as an organic being I NEED TO EAT, ETERNAL VACATION LADY.
According to the article, she's able to do this because she is a very "low-budget traveler" (neurotypical + able-bodied/healthy privilege) and she saved up thousands of dollars while she was working her software company project manager job (class + a bunch of other privileges) and she gets odd jobs being a diving instructor and shit in the middle of this eternal vacation (race + able-bodied + cishet privilege) and she can crash with friends she makes (neurotypical privilege).
Reasons why other people don't do this:
- If they can save any money at all, it goes toward emergencies.
- Many countries hostile toward certain races, religions, and/or LGBTQAIP+ people.
- Traveling is difficult or impossible due to illness, chronic pain, or disability.
- Needing constant access to medication for mental/physical issues.
- People of color and LGBTQAIP+ people more likely to be assaulted.
- Anxiety disorders making it impossible to make random friends whenever needed.
- Not lucky enough to be born in the Netherlands.
This is why I don't follow Vice.