I called the 2016 presidential race for Hillary Clinton two years ago, and in the past have supported her because I think she'd be a total hardass who wouldn't put up with Republican bullshit.
But she is still a capitalist and an imperialist. She supports Israel in their genocide against the Palestinians. She has a long history of supporting corporate interests.
Racism Review has more:
- In Michelle Alexander’s book, The New Jim Crow, she notes that it was Hillary Clinton who lobbied Congress to expand the drug war and mass incarceration in ways that we continue to live with today, and that have a significantly more harmful impact on black and brown people than white people ...
- As Secretary of State, Clinton left a legacy that included both a hawkish inclination to recommend the use of military force coupled with “turning the state department into a machine for promoting U.S. business.” ...
Hillary Clinton is, undoubtedly, a symbol of white, privileged feminism. As much as I want a woman to be president, to support her is to turn my back on people of color, LGBTQAIP+ people, disabled people, people in poverty, and everyone else hurt by pro-corporate policy that inevitably hurts those most vulnerable to poverty.
Bernie Sanders may be a white man, but he's also Jewish. We have never had a Jewish president due to the fact that antisemitism is still alive and well. As a gentile, I have privilege over Jewish people, too.
He's also far more progressive.
This is just his economic policy plan:
* Invest in our crumbling infrastructure with a major program to create jobs by rebuilding roads, bridges, water systems, waste water plants, airports, railroads and schools.
* Transform energy systems away from fossil fuels to create jobs while beginning to reverse global warming and make the planet habitable for future generations.
* Develop new economic models to support workers in the United States instead of giving tax breaks to corporations which ship jobs to low-wage countries overseas.
* Make it easier for workers to join unions and bargain for higher wages and benefits.
* Raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour so no one who works 40 hours a week will live in poverty.
* Provide equal pay for women workers who now make 78 percent of what male counterparts make.
* Reform trade policies that have shuttered more than 60,000 factories and cost more than 4.9 million decent-paying manufacturing jobs.
* Make college affordable and provide affordable child care to restore America’s competitive edge compared to other nations.
* Break up big banks. The six largest banks now have assets equivalent to 61 percent of our gross domestic product, over $9.8 trillion. They underwrite more than half the mortgages in the country and issue more than two-thirds of all credit cards.
* Join the rest of the industrialized world with a Medicare-for-all health care system that provides better care at less cost.
* Expand Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and nutrition programs.
* Reform the tax code based on wage earners’ ability to pay and eliminate loopholes that let profitable corporations stash profits overseas and pay no U.S. federal income taxes.
These are all policies I support. And he is not entirely pro-Israel, though he doesn't go far enough to condemn this obvious genocide.
We white feminists can't support just any woman for president just because we want a woman to be president. It's completely selfish and a betrayal of our less privileged sisters. Support Bernie.