Shhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuu wwwwwwwwwooooowwwwww ummmmmmmmmmmmmm ffffffffffff ohhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy fuuuuuckiiiiing goddddddddddddddd uhhhhhhhhhhmmmm nooooooooooooo.
I didn't want to write anything about this thing that has fucking happened because it's beyond horrifying and I don't think there's much to say other than those half-word sounds that I listed above.
But people have to be shitholes about it and my fellow white feminists are ignoring/defending her so I have to speak up.
- Lena Dunham did abuse her sister, emotionally and sexually.
- Lena was a child when she did this, which does not negate the psychological effect it had on her sister but does mean that at the time, Lena did not know what she was doing.
- Siblings can abuse siblings. It happens all the time. Older siblings also typically have some level of power over younger siblings, especially in an emotional sense.
- Lena has failed to show the appropriate remorse, or as far as I can see, any remorse, for what she did. In fact, she denied that it was abuse. This is fucking reprehensible and horrific on so many levels.
- Yes, right wing assholes are exploiting this for their own benefit. They'd defend any of their own people who did anything similar or worse. But they are right, she did molest her sister.
Conclusion: Lena Dunham is a terrible person, not necessarily because of what she did to her sister when they were children, but because she refuses to acknowledge the reality of what she did which was, absolutely, indisputably abuse. She fails to acknowledge the serious psychological damage she likely inflicted on her sister. Her tweets on the subject show this. I have absolutely zero respect for Lena Dunham now and consider her to be untrustworthy and dangerous.